Thursday, April 23, 2009

My PERSONAL Campaign to GO GREEN!

GO GREEN!



Ok, so I am really starting to feel bad about how awful I am to our beautiful Earth. After reflecting on Earth Day I realized there is a lot of things I need to do to be a better...Earth dweller (for lack of a better word!) Recycling is easy. You put the plastics, paper and glass in the bins...great, but there is so much more we can do. I need to stop using plastic shopping bags! That means I need to be organized and put reusable shopping bags in the car and bring them into the store, that is the hard part. I have good intensions, but I am always forgetting!


I have been using cloth diapers for almost 6 months now, and solely for selfish reasons...diapers are so much money! I love them, my family may not, but I feel so good about them when I put them on Parker! I feel like I am contributing to my personal campaign!



I have now increased my go green to cloth, reusable wipes. I figured I am using so many wipes and throwing those away...why not just use them and then wash them. 
I know it may should gross, but I also got this attachable hose sprayer thing to attach to the toilet. So you spray all the poop in to the toilet; you can even swirl the diaper around in the toilet so it is pre rinsed and then it is way less gross. Hey stop you grimace face! Sometimes the best thing is hard! Now I don't even care! :) 


Next! No more Ziploc Bags! We use so many in our house! So I am going to only use re-useable containers. It will save us so much money!



Also, I will try to buy as many things I can from used stores. Since we are so poor right now, this is a necessity! I am excited about it. There are some really cute used baby stores out there. My favorite is La Costa Kids in Encinitas. And there are some awesome consignment stores for me too. So here I go...reduce, REUSE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Props for using cloth diapers. I just bought a new load of diapers at the store... $30 for regular and night time diapers. (My kid drinks an insane amount of water during the day) I like the diaper sprayer too. Totally cool. Other good reuse stores: AmVets and Salvation Army. Look to buy out stores too. GTM stores and Everything 5.99 has some great stuff. Good luck and happy hunting:)

Michele said...

Wow Whit! I'm impressed. I totally support you in your diaper crusade. (I can safely say this since I don't have any more kids in diapers. :-)

I've started trying to take reusable bags to the grocery store when I am buying just a few things, but when I'm doing the whole weeks worth of food, that is hard. I need to try harder.

No ziplocks???? Now I'm really impressed. I'm not ready to make that commitment yet. You are really going for it.

And, as you know, we already love anything second hand, so that's a great goal!

Thanks for inspiring me to try to be a better earth dweller, too.