Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why I want to be a Fireman?

Kyle had this open and I love it. He is in the process of applying for a Firefighter Paramedic job and has an interview next week. He has been studying and polishing up his "script" for the interview. Firefighter interviews consist of 30 possible questions, and since the interview is weighted so heavily, applicants really get their 30 answers perfect. I loved this answer to "why do you want to be a firefighter?" Kyle has such a way of expressing himself and is extremely personable. I have all the faith in him and I know he will do great!


In 2002 I started as an employee for a large financial institution. Over the years I worked my way up and was able to make a great wage, invest in a pension, 401k, real estate and other endeavors. It was an exciting time for my growing family. In 2008, The real estate market came crashing down devastating many small businesses, large corporations and massive financial institutions. One day I had a flourishing career with a bright future and the next I was hit with a tidal wave of despair and fear. I remember the day I had to go home and tell my wife that everything we had earned, due to sacrifices and hard work over the past years, were gone. When our savings ran out, we had to cash out all of our investments, 401k and pension to try and pay off the mounting debt we began to accumulate to stay afloat. I was devastated. I felt like I let my family down. My wife looked at me and smiled, she asked, “what have you always wanted to do with your life?” I said, “well, If I could do it over I would be a firefighter, but we have a family, we can’t afford it.” She replied, “either way we have to start over. We will figure it out. So quit crying and go get it.”

Since that day I have been on a sprint to learn as much as I can and get as much fire and EMS experience as possible. I absolutely love it. I would not change a thing. I am so happy to have gone through those hard times to be able to enter this new adventure. To me, finding this path is worth more than gold.


I want to spend the rest of my working days in the service to others, 100% committed to a worthy cause. I don’t want to waste my life only focused on building a fat bank account or a large investment portfolio, I want to be a shining example to my children of hard work, respect and selfless service. I want them to grow up seeing others who believe the same.


Since my last tough conversation years ago with my wife about losing our lively hood, I have been waiting for the day when I can go home, sit her down and tell her that all of her commitment, sacrifice and faith in me has paid off and our dreams of becoming a firefighter family have come true.

1 comment:

Michael said...

If you all are anything like my family, I assume that Whitney does most of the blog work, but anyway, I would love to get in touch with Kyle. I am an old friend from the MTC. Anyway, if you get this Kyle, shoot me an e-mail.

michael.malmfeldt@hotmail.com

Good luck with the firefighter hiring process!