Sunday, September 26, 2010

Papa Tony

My Grandpa...Papa Tony is such a playful, silly Papa to my boys and has always been an amazing Grandpa to me. He was the grandpa who always gave you cookies and candy and made you feel special. He has had a rough year and has become a little different and at times it has been very difficult to see him this way. He suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. It has been difficult to visit him in a care home and have to remind him who you are. Along with his Alzheimer's he also had a stroke this year causing him to mumble and have a difficult time speaking. We love him so much and really cherish the memories of who he was. This experience has helped me to value family more and enjoy the time you have with one another; and to especially make time for each other. I love you Grandpa and thank you for being so loving and kind.
My Grandma and Grandpa at my Grandma's 90th Birthday party. So grateful for this party that brought us all together. The next month his health went down hill. Thanks to my mom for having this party and giving us great photos to cherish.

Me and my Grandpa dancing at the party. He is a great dancer! I am trying to keep up.
We try to visit him once a week at the care home. The boys have been amazing! They often bring tears to my eyes at their display of compassion. They run up to Papa Tony and give him hugs and kisses with out a single prompt from me. They talk to all the other Alzheimer patients and love them as well. I always leave so proud of them and their love they show to others. Papa Tony does not recognize them and often does not even talk to them, but he is full of smiles when he sees them. I know it brightens up his week when they visit. (took pictures with my phone...not the best quality)
Gavin my love bug!
This little old lady talking to Parker runs up to us when we visit and insists that my sons are her boy friends. It is pretty funny the conversations we have with other patients. It is definitely entertaining. :)

We love you Papa Tony and look forward to seeing you soon!

No comments: